Hi everyone.
I know it's been a while again; trying to pin me down to a definate time scale is very tricky.
Anyway, first of all I want to say thank you. Thank you to all of those people who have taken the time to donate either through my Justgiving website, or through offline donations by pledging on the specially made sponsorship forms. I'm afraid I need to make a proper calculation of the offline donations, as I know for definate I over estimated on the offline donations. (There are currently three seperate forms flying around and I'm trying to work out roughly who much has been pledged on each)!
So...anyway...thank you!
Also, I received the National Vicim Support newspaper through my door yesterday and there was a little article about my weight loss project. It has kicked me into gear a little bit, because now that the whole country are aware of what I'm doing, I need to try and keep this blog updated as much as possible! It's going to be hard, but I'll do what I can!! I'll fight the good fight and all that. The last thing I want to do is let the organisation down.
But that does mean, however, that if I'm doing what I can to lose weight and update this blog, everyone out there has got to do what they can to help me stay motivated. By all means, follow my blog. Add your comments (I'll try and respond if I can). Point it out to your family and friends. Print it off and frame it, if you so wish!! But please, keep me motivated! At the end of the day, whilst I'm doing it for charity, I am also doing this for myself. I don't want to let any of you down, but I would be distraught to let myself down.
Anyway, how is the weight loss going?
The truthful answer is...slowly! I've reached a plateau, where I'm starting to fluctuate and either stay the same or put a little weight back on. I'm looking at what I'm eating even more (following the Weight Watcher guidance I've been given) but also I need some motivation to go and do some exercise.
When I was younger, I used to swim A LOT. I used to love swimming to the point where I started to become a long distance swimmer. However, my swimming teacher mentioned in passing about me possibly swimming the channel when I was older (we're talking when I was about 7 or 8 at the time?) and I lost total interest from that point on. I have tried to swim, but with my weight being what it was, I've always been embarassed about going back in the water. So, hopefully, I can convince myself to get back in the water and swim more.
Also, I like walking. However, around where I live, there are little to no walking routes that are 'easy on the eye'. Any suggestions of where I can walk in West Bridgford, please let me know.
Whilst I'm on the subject of motivation, let me explain to you what has happened to me over the course of 24 years for me to do this:
I've always been chubby, no matter what. There hasn't been a day gone by when I can think of when I was thin. I remember playing in an activity complex for toddlers (as a toddler, obviously) and one of the other children telling his sister, 'Don't play with him. He's too fat!'.
I was never a sporty person. I hated PE and Games at school; not because I was lazy but because most of the activities were ones I weren't interested in. I hate football, and I never used to want to WIN at school Sports Days. I used to do them because I wanted a rosette. That's all I ever wanted. I didn't even mind if it had been last place! (I did eventually get one in my last year of Primary School, even though it was for a relay race).
I once joined a gym in Nottingham when I was at University. I didn't want to, but I did...simply because other students were gym goers. And you know what? I hated every moment of it!
Well, actually, that's not strictly true; the sauna and steam room were relaxing. But I've always believed gyms to be a waste of money. You join and you run and do weight training. But what' awful about it is that everyone else in there are fit!
You never, if at all, see an overweight person at the gym. But it's not because they're lazy, or not bothered about their weight. It's the same reason that a lot of chubby children feel excluded from a lot of their friends activities.
It's because fit people are the only ones doing it!! I remember going to the gym and I was in there for 40 minutes. The whole time I was being stared at by a group of guys my own age. They were giggling and constantly looking over at me. I just had to leave, and never went back to that gym again! The last thing anyone wants is to feel like their doing something wrong or looking like they're making a fool of themselves when they want to feel like they're doing a great thing.
But the main reason has to be the comments I've had over the years. I've had people make jokes about my weight to my face, on the understanding that I'll laugh it off. I've been given 'advice' from friends about what I should be eating and doing. I've had people suggesting diets. All kinds of different things. In the end, though, there comes a point where you can't take any more. No matter how good natured that person is being, it's the straw that breaks he camel's back.
Anyway, that's my little rant over. I just wanted to make everyone aware of what this means to me.
On a lighter note, let me leave you with this musing:
'The past is history, the future is a mystery, but the time we live in is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'.
Okay, so I'll try and update you with the weight progress regularly from now on. Thanks again for all your help. It doesn't go unnoticed.
See you soon.
A
No comments:
Post a Comment